Tuesday 23 October 2012

Cross Country

Another month goes by unwritten and unrecorded.  Maybe I should start one of those writing schedules that I see other people apologising for when they miss them - something that always amuses me greatly.  I should really keep to more schedules, a little order in the maelstrom wouldn't go amiss after all.

Although leaving it a good fortnight has allowed all sorts of dust to settle, both literally on the untidied corners of my room and metaphysically, in the untidied corners of my mind.  Things are definitely moving though, in more ways than one; somehow I've managed to keep up my weight after the incredible gain of the last few weeks, the novelty sensation of my suits now fitting may not wear off for a good while yet. 

Things are moving though, and I suppose the most important move will be my holiday (hah) in a northern direction back to the Fine City of Norwich itself, for a rest and some much needed recuperation.  Having not made it home this summer was probably a major cause of my depression over the vac, along with various other issues that are all too apparent.  It will be a welcome break indeed!  Basically, this is about as close to a true holiday I'll get since February, and ought to cost me almost as much, although alcohol will be cheaper... Hmmm...

The week is split in two, basically (although I'm not the only one with major bipolarity issues round here).  I'll be staying with my flatmates and very dear friends from Thursday once I arrive.  I'm starting to feel very old these days, and it's not because of the youth of some of my fellow scholars, not even the thought of being 23 in the new year, no, but the fact that my old flatmates are graduating this year.  I remember almost not going back to University, the sensation that really this was an unrescueable prospect...and then the following year proving myself completely wrong, not only academically but socially as well.  I am exceedingly thankful for having some of the best flatmates in my first and third year halls that ever could have been asked for.  Cheesy I know, but the multi-coloured pancakes, the tu-tus, climbing the kitchen shaft (not a euphemism) and Barack Snowbama from my Freshman days to the Ultimate Jagerbombs, Mackerel Packets, the final Dissertation rush, Thanksgiving meal and of course, the appearance of an E flat alto Trombone in both years make for nothing short of two definitively hilarious experiences that ensured success - While my academic results ended up being far from perfect due to my second year, critically my professional efforts have got me where I want to be, and that is what it's all about. 

The second half of the week though, I lodge with a man known exclusively here as The Chief, for the mightiest celebrations known to man.  I can't say any more just yet why... but getting back to Spamcroft and the monster pinned to the western arch will be nothing short of a treat and a joy.  Obviously my technique has nosedived through lack of practice, but I can always pull something out the bag!  Slotty Vallotti temperament might well be for girls, but thinking of my personal registration for the Pachelbel G Minor Fantasia, the grit of the reed chorus topped with the quint and tierce mutations makes for a spinetingling turn at the E flat minor moment.  That terz-zimbel effect is something I miss the most really... Oh.  And a Pedal Chorus.


Sat here as I am, merrily typing away, I wonder why I haven't written more and more often recently.  Perhaps apathy is the greatest cause behind a lack, although various other difficulties have taken their toll as well.  Professional concerns have been high on my agenda, slightly more improtant than my usual moaning on here anyway.  Watch this space though, and I don't mean read between the lines this time (I know a few people do, so don't bother), this week will prove quite important to me, as the weeks often are, as they stretch on into eternity.  I still haven't decided whether I'm really taking my Banjo or not yet!  It'll be a pig to have going through London, after all, but why be without something that makes me so happy?  The effort will surely be worth it.  After all, the Back in Black tour starts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment